Once again a good time was had by all at the tasting last night at The Cranberry Resort!
TASTING NOTES FOR JANUARY 15, 2013
1. Mondavi Private Select Merlot - A soft, juicy wine with a hint of ripe black cherry and plum with subtle notes of spice and chocolate.
2. McManis Merlot - Aromas of ripe black cherry, blackcurrant a dry & fruity wine with a touch of acidity. Full bodied with fruity finish
3. Revolution Red - This big bold wine is blended to perfection. Ripe raspberries, plum, blackberries, spice and coffee/mocha. Big juicy flavours. It is smooth and easy to drink and you might even want to share it with friends.
4. Clos du Val Cab Sauv - Bright Cassis and spicy licorice, black olive, vanilla, blackberry and tobacco aromas. Dry, full, juicy round palate with some grainy tannins. Also notes of black cherry, light coffee, tapenade and leather flavours. Intense and lots of fruit.
5. Decoy by Duckhorn – This is the second (or #2) wine from this estate. Good quality/value relationship. Big Cassis, berry pie, butterscotch and wood smoke aromas. Decant and pair with a roast beef or leg of lamb
6. Caymus Napa Valley Cab Sauv – Supple and creamy textured with notes of mocha, ripe plum and cherry flavours. Touches of tobacco and espresso. Full bodied, elegant and very approachable. Drink now through 2018. Rated 92
7. Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin – The grapes grow out of the head of the bush (pruned this way) meaning far fewer grapes and yield. Very intense flavours. Layers of jammy blackberry, cassis and spice.
8. Gallo Frei Ranch Dry Creek Zin – Grown in gravelly to clay soils yielding a complex full bodied wine. Rich aromas and intense flavours. Black cherry, plum and ripe berry finish. Spicy notes and supple tannins with a velvety soft finish.